29.3.10

First race of 2010.

Tri State Outfitters Duathlon...

I messed around deciding whether or not to race at the duathlon.  Historically, the bike course is not ideal for making me feel good about myself, for whatever reason I am not at all powerful on that ride.  It is seriously hard to start the race season discouraged with my race results.  However, I came to the conclusion that it is way more important to test myself and get real honest about my bike fitness, than to worry about my fragile ego.  

The first run went as well as I could have planned.  I felt strong and worked hard, with my HR redlining the whole time.  Run #1 = 2 miles = 15:02


The bike ride turned out exactly as I expected.  I wasn't strong or fast, but I worked as hard as I could and earned the pace/time I ended up with.   I know by now that it takes me until almost 1/3 of the way into race season before my biking feels comparable to my running.  I want to be stronger at an earlier time this season, so I am working harder to get there faster, but I have sooooo much work to do!  Anyway, during the bike ride, I got passed by 5 women.  I knew I could obviously run faster than all of those women, because I was in front of them on the bike ride, until they passed me ;).  When I was going into transition at the end of my ride, I saw Greg taking pictures and I told him, "I have some women to catch on the run."  He agreed.  Bike = 12 miles = 41:10 

As soon as I left the transition area, I knew I would be working to roll out a solid run and recapture the places I had lost in the women's race during the bike.  I was spent though and I didn't feel lots of zip in my legs.  However, I was able to pass all the women I was chasing.  Caught the last one within about 200 yards from the finish line.  Run #2 = 15:40
 Race Results: 5th OA, 1st AG

I was pretty stoked to race in my new Brooks PACE team running kit, and super pleased with the new arm warmers, racing singlet and T6 Racer shoes!  I felt light, but perfectly dressed for the temps and pace of the race.



 I'm not unhappy with my decision to make the duathlon my first race of 2010.  I have LOADS of work to do in all three sports, but that's good to know, or rather to confirm.  I'll be back on the bike/run course for a triathlon in mid-April and anxious to make some necessary improvements.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Way to kick butt out there Nat! You were flying on that run! But you had to, since your were running 'em down! Keep training hard , its showing

Tiffany said...

Congrats on an awesome race, Nat! You rocked it out there! Sure wish I could run as fast as you!!

jessithompson said...

WAY TO GO, LADY! So excited for you!