5.1.12

Looking Forward...

to my first Ironman!

I pretty much stopped blogging after my very disappointing race at California 70.3 last year.  But I didn't stop training and after I got healthy - I ended up with a rather happy, successful, and balanced season after all.  I even set a few PR's :)

Throughout the season I swam/biked/ran for endurance, and enjoyed training with some inspiring and dedicated athlete friends.  I spent the summer months contemplating registering for IMC, with loads of encouragement from my husband and a few close friends.  In August, Ironman Canada 2012 registration approached. So, here I am...at the beginning of eight months of serious Ironman training.  And I know I am going to want to share my experience and reflect after the fact.  I'm definitely not the first athlete to be in this position, but it is my personal journey toward my first Ironman race.  So, follow along with my training and ah ha! moments if you'd like.

On my way=>
I've got a smart, seasoned, and talented coach
I took a short, but very unstructured off-season in October
I became and remain serious about core strength this season
Plan to complete two 70.3's and several shorter races along the way
Continue to enjoy my Brooks sponsorship
I'm making some sacrifices:
no alcohol (not a biggie, but still)
plant and protein rich diet (also, pretty much my norm)
sweets restricted, except on my two long days of training/per week, and only minimal consumption
7-8 hours sleep/per night, more when necessary
But hoping NOT to sacrifice family/close friends or caffeine!

Wishing you all a very happy new year!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

So excited for you and your journey to your first IM, Nat! Glad you've started blogging again so that we can follow it! xoxo

Matt said...

welcome back to blog land!! Looking forward to racing with ya at IMC

Jen said...

Wow, Nat! I didn't know you were training for IMC! Can't wait to read all about your journey! xoxo